The Guthrie Business Council Committee was reestablished as the Guthrie Corporate Council in 2015 in an effort to strengthen and build the Guthrie Theater's community of civic-minded Corporate Contributors.
We are proud to maintain a lean, nimble and focused development team comprised of eight employees, yet we realize that the Guthrie can benefit greatly by involving community leaders in helping to recruit and retain corporate donors.
The theater's Development Department is responsible for raising $10 million in 2015-2016, with $1.8 million anticipated from corporate and corporate foundation contributions. The Corporate Council is challenged to assist the Guthrie in raising $90,000 annually through the activities detailedbelow.
Primary Council Objective
The Guthrie Corporate Council is an exclusive cohort of socially connected, mid-career professionals, led by Guthrie staff with guidance by our board of directors, in the recruitment of corporate donors. Council members each serve the organization by strengthening relationships with current Guthrie Corporate Contributors while assisting in the identification and cultivation of new prospects.
"The Guthrie Corporate Council answers the call for
leadership development opportunities in a community teeming with a talented,
connected and driven generation eager to play a bigger role in the Twin Cities
business community. And for those of us who care about the arts, it's a
clear win-win as we begin to identify the next generation of great arts
~ Todd Hartman, Senior Vice President at Best Buy and Guthrie Board Member
Council Member Opportunities
- Serve as an ambassador of the theater in the business community.
- Listing in all main stage Guthrie programs and Annual Reports.
- Complimentary certificate for two seats at one Opening Night Dinner and performance.
- Two complimentary certificates for seats at a Corporate Night performance, including pre-show cocktail and networking hour.
- Access to all pre-show networking hours for Corporate Nights.
- Access to the Kitchak Donor Lounge for you and your guests one hour before evening performances and during all intermissions (pending availability).
- Invitation for two people to all pre-production Super Sneak Peek events, gaining first-hand access to insights from world-class designers, artists and directors.
- Invitation to Annual Meetings with top donors and members of our board of directors.
- Invitations to Corporate Forums focused on business issues.
- Opportunity for two to a backstage tour.
- Option to purchase Opening Night Dinner and show tickets.
Council Member Responsibilities
- Membership term: one year, with benefits for 365 days starting on the date of your appointment.
- Personally contribute $2,500 annually during your term or secure $2,500 annually during your term from your employer to support the mission of the Guthrie Theater. Should the contribution be made by an employer, it must be a new or incremental gift.
- Identify new companies to solicit and participate in introducing Guthrie staff to company contacts
- Serve as an ambassador of the theater in the business community, both within the building and externally.
- Attend quarterly meetings.
- Utilize complimentary tickets to attend Guthrie events such as Opening Nights, Corporate Nights, Sneak Peeks, networking events, and assist in hosting corporate guests.
- Bring your prospects along to performances and events to expose them to the Guthrie and facilitate introductions.
- Facilitate friendly conversations in the Kitchak Donor Lounge when visiting the theater.
Current Council Members
Joshua Dorothy, Gregerson, Rosow, Johnson & Nilan, Ltd
Eric Halverson, Best Buy
Timothy Huebsch, General Mills
Lisa Johnson, Bernstein
Jacky Junek, Pine River Capital Management
Christina Koppang, Travelers
Tim Manning, Silver Bay
Brianna Mooty, Gray Plant Mooty
Peter Scherf, U.S. Bank
Kyle Schultz, The Ayco Company, L.P., a Goldman Sachs Company
Chris Seidl, Robins Kaplan LLP
Jill Whitnah, Christensen Group Insurance
Council Member Nominations
Ideal candidates for the Guthrie Corporate Council are up-and-coming or mid-career professionals active in business networking in Minnesota, who value the vibrant cultural makeup of the Twin Cities and are seeking opportunities for social visibility and community involvement.
Candidates may be nominated or may self-nominate.
Council Member Selection Process
Submissions are previewed by a committee of the Guthrie's board of directors. Nominees will be notified of selections for the council on a quarterly basis.
To nominate a candidate, fill out the nomination questionnaire below.
All questions may be directed to:
Corporate Giving Manager
818 South 2nd Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415