A Guthrie Experience
About the program
M.F.A. actors and theatermakers with a passion for enduring works and an interest in examining the classical canon are encouraged to apply.
Designed to cultivate future leaders of the American theater, the experience includes voice, movement and acting intensives, professional mentorship, cultural immersion in the vibrant Twin Cities theater scene and an opportunity to collaborate on a production in the Guthrie’s Dowling Studio.
The Guthrie’s state-of-the-art facility on the banks of the Mississippi River in downtown Minneapolis.
This seven-week summer intensive will run from June 20 to August 7, 2023.
- If you are part of an M.F.A. program and signed up to audition, complete the actor application form 48 hours before your audition.
- If you are part of an M.F.A. program that is not on the Guthrie audition tour but you would like to audition, complete the actor application form and submit your resume and headshot online. We will follow up with an opportunity to audition live on Zoom.
For your audition, please prepare the following:
- Two monologues, one contemporary and one classical
- A piece of dramatic literature, poetry or prose that is set to movement
- A song you love to sing, in any genre, sung a cappella
History and alumni
Launched in 1997 under the leadership of Kenneth Washington and Marcela Lorca, A Guthrie Experience was designed to introduce emerging actors to a preeminent American Theater at the center of the Twin Cities vibrant arts community, building a bridge between training and profession.
For more than 20 years, A Guthrie Experience alumnus have developed successful careers onstage and on screen, garnered numerous awards and returned to perform on the Guthrie’s stages. Notable alumni include Mahershala Ali, Morena Baccarin, Ryan Michelle Bathe, Sterling K. Brown, Dion Flynn, Cassandra Freeman, Miriam Hyman, Josh Radnor, Corey Stoll and Emily Swallow, among others.